Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Remembering India

This week I volunteered to go to Keithan's class and share something about India since they are studying about it.  A lot has happened in the last 12 plus years so I had to sweep a few cobwebs from my brain to revive some India memories.  It is amazing what you can remember when you try ... and when you ask your husband who forgets little :)  For those who don't know, this trip was part of our honeymoon.  It is amazing I remember anything - it was rather overwhelming! Another part of the story is that my friend Angie met up with us in India ... it was a unique honeymoon!

Of course the pictures were pre-digital era so I chose a few from the album to scan and share with the class.  Since they are now on the computer I thought why not keep on sharing them with you. 

You should note the pictures are not professionally scanned ... in fact it was done moments before the presentation so if you wondering if your eyes are working properly you can rest assured that your eyes are fine and it is the pictures that are askew!  I had LOTS and LOTS of pictures of forts but I had very few details and facts to share about them so I didn't scan many.  I might have to borrow Angie's guidebook when I get around to scrapbooking this trip in another 12 years.


The memories of India that stick out in my mind: 

smog, Delhi belly (have never been so sick in my life and hope never will be again), dirty hotel rooms with cockroaches, Angie always referring to her guidebook (the forts were her idea, ha!),  paying to use the public washrooms, and wondering why people would eat with their hands when there were knives and forks available!   One other thing I remember was that I didn't have to pay to get into the Taj Mahal because kids 15 and under were free.  Our tour guide was sure I looked 15 and then of course he wanted a BIG tip!   

In case you are wondering:  Yes, I enjoyed my trip but I don't have a burning desire to go back to northern India.  The south however was greener and not so smoggy ... and we went to an English church convention there so I would do that again.  BUT, next time I'd take a little extra money so we wouldn't have to live like backpackers and maybe find nicer accommodations! 

Agra Fort (I think)




Taj Mahal



Royal Highness addressing the commoners

Time for a bath

Modes of transportation

Elephant ride to the fort

Red Fort


Jaipur ... "Pink City"

A Sari that I didn't buy

laundry drying



There were no A&W restaurants there!!  And, of course no beef!


 So .... other than a few photos of monkeys, camels and an upside down brightly painted truck in the ditch ... this is the gist of what I shared with the kids.  I have a Sari but I didn't even want to pretend that I knew how to put it on!  I just wore my slightly tighter than it used to be Shalwar Kameez, but I think it did the trick to make it an authentic presentation (even though that is the traditional Pakistani attire)!  The whole thing was kind of fun!!

Now I want to scan ALL my pictures.  Wonder how long that would take?! 
 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Fun to relive memories!! Wow I didn't know you actually dressed up !! Good Job.